Pages

Tuesday 5 May 2015

Sketching at Kaale Kaffi

Last Sunday we had our monthly sketchcrawl meeting in Luxembourg-city. We were hoping to go on the Vauban trail around one part of the fortress. Unfortunately, it was raining the whole afternoon, so we did the next best thing: we went to Kaale Kaffi.

Kaale Kaffi is a peculiar and very interesting place I first discovered during a sketchcrawl with Leen. It is a mixture between a coffee shop, a second-hand shop and an antiques shop.

From outside it looks like a regular second-hand shop, but when you look closely you discover that you can go in and spend time surrounded by a variety of old objects and clothes.

Most items can be purchased, which is why the inside setup changes on a regular basis.

So the rain pushed us to go in and we ended up spending over 2 hours there with Leen, Carlo and Aniela.

@ Kaale Kaffi with Carlo and Leen
Carlo and Leen busy sketching. Aniela was on my left side

There are so many interesting things that the most difficult part is to choose what to sketch. I think I could fill a whole sketchbook with this place alone.

As an example of the variety of objects you can find there, I was sitting next to a mannequin set up in a running motion, standing by a table with an old candelabra and picture frame (complete with the old sepia picture) on it.

@ Kaale Kaffi
Run, Forest, run!

Next time I will try to make a sketch of the place as a whole. I think it will take me at least 2 hours, but it would definitely be fun.

If you are wondering where exactly this place is, I can only say that it is in the old part of the upper town. They don't want to advertise themselves too much and I must admit that I don't want it to become too crowded either. I have a feeling it might become our sketching headquarters in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment